CONSELL DE IBIZA
The Consell de Ibiza is currently the highest government institution on the island. With the 1978 Constitution, the people of Ibiza and Formentera recovered the institution that for seven centuries had been the only form of government that had been known: The University, an institution that performed the functions of a single city council for all Pitiusas.
In 1299, when Ibiza and Formentera were part of the kingdom of Majorca, of which King Jaime II was king, the Pitiusas were granted the mayors of the three co-owners to elect three men from the land; these, in turn, had to choose ten good men as advisers to govern the Pitiusas, with the function of governing and ordering the affairs of the islands of Ibiza and Formentera.
This institution was growing and evolving and was taking charge of all those subjects that required a minimum public organization: works for the defence of Ibiza and Formentera, the salt exploitation, maintenance of ditches, etc. Within this institution, from the very beginning, there are all the social classes: the main hand (nobility and clergy); the middle hand (artisans, craftsmen, merchants) and the outside hand (farmers).
On April 19, 1979, the first plenary session of the Consell d’Eivissa and Formentera was held, an act chaired by Cosme Vidal Juan, for being number one on the list that had obtained the most votes, and declared itself constituted with twelve members of according to the results of the elections of April 3, 1979.
With the entry into force, in 2007, of the new Statute of Autonomy of the Balearic Islands, the Consell d’Eivissa y Formentera became Consell d’Eivissa, as the island of Formentera had its own insular governing body.
ADDRESS: CONSELL DE IBIZA – Av. D’Espanya, 49, 07800 Ibiza